Monday, February 25, 2013

Fitness Filled and Fast Food Free



So, lately I have been in a negative head space and I apologize for my last several posts being so bitchy. Pardon the language. ;)
My frustrations are because I know I have to give up or drastically cut down on something that has been a staple in my life for a long, long time. And, the thought of that really terrifies me which has really affected my mood. It's like a security blanket being taken away. And, when I say that, it actually is quite silly when I think about it. But...that's how I feel.
The thing that I need to give up is the extremely unhealthy eating of SO much fast food...along with the over-consumption of junk food/desserts. I have depended on the convenience of fast food my whole adult life and it has really affected my ability to think of a different way of eating. I don't know if it's losing the taste of the food or the convenience of it that scares me the most. I honestly think it's losing the convenience. I won't have that fall back whenever I'm tired or not in the mood to cook or running late or shuttling kids from activity to activity. That's what scares me!
I am not the best planner. I get sidetracked very easily. I have a lot of great ideas and thoughts of how I want things done, but not always the best at putting them into action. Meal planning is a prime example of that. So, fast food is a frequent life saver for me. Whenever, things are chaotic and I don't have the groceries I need to make what I want...fast food it is! I'm not very creative in the kitchen, so just whipping up something is a difficult thing for me to do.
The main reason why I know I need to make a change to this crutch is because my body is not losing weight like it used to. Over this past year, I have lost a lot of weight and I have been able to do so without eliminating anything...I've just cut back on the frequencies of the unhealthy choices. And, for a long time that was fine. But, I have noticed that the weeks that I have a poor weight loss or a gain, are the weeks that I eat a lot of fast food. I mean, I still stuck to my points/calories but I filled them with sodium and fat filled choices. My body won't let me "cheat" anymore. It's time to really get serious and give my diet a complete overhaul.
A great friend of mine, Ruth, is starting a month long challenge with her family that is extremely hard for her to do. She is doing this to benefit the health of her whole family. And, I admire her courage to completely step out of her comfort zone and deny herself of something she loves. Ruth is one of those people that can have a huge impact on your way of thinking by only saying a few words. And I mean that in a positive way! :) After reading of her challenge...it got me to thinking. I need to do something like that. I need to give my weight loss journey a "jump" to get it going again...in a consistent pattern of LOSING.
So...this is my challenge for my whole family. I am calling it the "Fitness Filled and Fast Food Free" challenge. For one month, our family will not eat fast food. And, for one month, our family will get activity everyday for a minimum of 30 minutes. And...here are the specifics.
Fast Food~
McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Arby's, In and Out, Wendy's, Weinerschnitzel, Del Taco, Panda Express, Freddy's, Carl's Jr, Long John Silver's, A&W, Five Guys, Sonic...
You get the picture. Basically, anything with a drive thru. My ultimate goal is to eat home as much as possible. I want to eat way more natural foods and less processed crap. I retain water like a camel. My legs blow up with fluid when I eat out all the time because of the sodium content. It's miserable and I feel awful. I will still eat out some, just very limited and I will not go to the above stated. Certain places like Subway, El Pollo Loco, Café Rio I feel are ok, but I still want to only use those as a treat and not everyday. The more I eat home the better...that way I have control over what "extras" go in my food.
Activity for the family~
Anything to get us moving!! A walk around the neighborhood, X-box Kinect Sports or Dance, sports at the park...whatever our little hearts desire for that day.
I am really excited for this challenge! I am also very nervous because I am going to have to sit my butt down and force myself to meal plan. But...the more prepared that I am, the more successful I will be. I still have over 100 lbs to lose. I am almost half way there!! It's time to step it up and make some difficult changes. I have a feeling that it will have positive results in many different ways! Game on!! Time for my own version of "March Madness". Thanks Ruth for inspiring me!! :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad I could help! We can encourage one another on our March Madness goals. LOL! I can't believe I am actually going to do it. It will be interesting to see how different we feel come March 30

mylettersofhealing said...

Both of you are amazing examples! You can do it! Here is to a March Madness full of success, answers, and above all happiness! :)

Chanell said...

Jill!!! You're awesome... and I honestly think once you get over the first bit of it all you'll love the change.... I personally feel so crappy when I eat out... I don't like it at all... well the not cooking dinner is sometimes nice and yes at the time it tastes good, but in the end I just know that it did NOT do my body good... and it gets super expensive too... I think you'll really love the change... and I think once you pull away from it you'll have less cravings for it.... and I'm sure it will do wonders for your overall weightloss goal... good luck!!! It'll be tough but I know you can do it!!!

Brandon, McKell & Ryker said...

All I can do is SMILE right now!