Monday, July 30, 2018

The importance of a strong support system.

Last time I posted a dear friend asked me how my family was helping me on my journey, more specifically, with this new way of eating.
I thought that was a great question and it got me thinking about the importance of a strong support system. 
Everyone struggles with something in their life and having a cheerleader or a "rock" is crucial in getting past hurdles. Some people need a whole cheering crowd, some people need a tough coach and some people need that teammate that's always by your side. I need all of it. The tough coach is one that I have a hard time with though. I am very sensitive so this approach quite often backfires. But sometimes the tough love will strike a chord and make an impact.
I can't imagine how hard it must be for a loved one to watch their spouse, child, sibling, friend, etc. suffer with an addition and feeling useless in helping them. I really don't like calling myself an addict. To me, food should not be something we get addicted to. But, when I stop and think about addiction, it's not really the vice that people get addicted to, it's the feeling they get when they use it. This thought is based on my own experience. The only other thing that I have done in my life that I would classify as an addiction is smoking cigarettes. 
I started smoking for a stupid reason. My best friend during my junior high/high school years was part of the "stoner" crowd...a very entertaining crowd to hang around with. :) I was not into drugs, I had no desire to partake in that experience. However, smoking did interest me, it was a way for me to feel like part of the crowd. I started with just blowing silly smoke circles which lead to inhaling which lead to something that I enjoyed doing. At first it was just an activity I did while hanging out with my friend and her friends. But, as time went by I started to notice another side effect that made this new activity of mine even more appealing. I wasn't craving food. I wasn't hungry. I have struggled with weight and the love of food my whole life. So this new found possible weight loss tool was pretty exciting. This lasted about 5 years. It helped me lose 30 lbs during my first stint at Weight Watchers my junior year. What made me finally quit were several things, Mike was the main reason. We almost didn't become a couple because he hated it so much. But, ultimately my good looks and charm won him over. LOL. ;) The other reasons were cost,guilt and nausea. Every time I would pull out a cigarette, I felt guilty. I actually really enjoyed smoking,in fact, I still would if I started up again. But, I hated seeing that look on Mike's face and I loved him too much to continue. Fortunately smoking is something I can just quit because it's something that I don't need. Food on the other hand, I do need. 
By quitting smoking, it has now freed up my hands and mouth for food. Between that, being young and uninterested in cooking, my weight began to raise (rise?). Add kids into the mix and forget about it. My weight was a concern, but my sanity and lack of energy needed that constant food high. So, I ate and I ate. My family became more and more concerned. They could see how this new addiction was creating more problems.
So, this leads me to the need for a strong support system. And the answer to the question, how is my family supportive? 
My parents have been a steady source of support. They have joined Weight Watchers with me, my mom will go on walks with me, they look up different diets or articles that may be helpful, my dad has given me incentives. It's a continuous search to find what will work for me. It's hard for them to 
force my hand. They do everything they can, but it has to be ME that's ready to listen and take action.
Mike has been extremely patient with me. He doesn't have the love for food that I do, so it's really hard for him to relate. He "eats to live" and I "live to eat". Over the past 20 years that we've been together, I have joined Weight Watchers countless time, joined Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem and bought a cart full of healthy food that went to waste repeatedly. I have opened gym memberships that went unused over and over. I have bought exercise equipment that collects dust. I have cried and cried wondering why I can't stick to anything. I have promised again and again that "this time will be different".  Yet, he STILL holds my hand, wipes my tears and says "We'll do whatever it takes."
Over the past couple of years, my body has changed quite a bit. I'm experiencing the effects of my Diabetes. This is something that I never paid attention to, but now I am. I am slowly learning what my body needs. Starting the low carb/Keto way of eating has been the most eye opening. 
This is something that has changed the way Mike is showing support. I have started watching videos on how to make foods more Keto friendly and have tried a few recipes. Well...to my surprise, Mike has become very excited about this new approach to cooking. He is fully on board for changing also. So, are the kids...mainly because they want to help me. My parents are looking into starting this way of eating too. By them doing this also, it helps me out tremendously. We're not only eating the same, but I have buddies to help with finding new recipes and such. It's very encouraging and exciting.
Besides my immediate family, I have a huge support system. My cousin is always looking for ways to help me and is often my coach. Starting this blog has been incredibly helpful by giving me the cheering squad that I need. I can't thank all of you enough for your "likes" and encouraging words. It helps me more than I can say. It's also nice to know that by me sharing my struggles, it could help someone else with theirs. 

No comments: