Friday, March 2, 2012

Mind games...

     

This week has been a tough "mind-game" week. I catch myself frequently having mind wars in my head. It's an exhausting battle of "I should have done more" and "I'm too tired, my body needs to rest"...back and forth. And this week, the "I'm too tired..." argument won a couple of times. Which I was beating myself up for. Because, in my mind, I can always push myself a little harder. But...sometimes my body just says "No, I need a break."
I have been working my body in ways that I never have before and I think sometimes it kinda goes into shock. This week I was SO tired...everyday. Which irritated me because...I have goals...I have plans...I have work to do...and this tired crap is really messing things up!
Each week my trainer has me set goals for 4 catagories. Nutrition...Exercise...Emotional...and, Spiritual.
And, if I don't follow through with the goals that I set for myself 100%...I feel like I've failed. It's an "all or nothing" state of mind. Problem is... I tend to bite off more than I can chew. And, sometimes, I am not realistic with my expectations. Which, can lead to disappointment...a lot.
But, truth is, I have to allow myself to have bad days...and, to struggle with certain challenges...and, to learn how to adjust to something new. Yes, it sucks...but that's the way of life...not everything will come easily or naturally.
There is a fine line between setting goals that will push myself and setting goals that are unrealistic or overly ambitious. If I choose that latter of the two, I just have to be ok with it if I fall short, and then reset the goal to something that I am currently capable of. And, each week I am capable of a little bit more. This is a constant learning process and things are always changing.
I am just afraid that if I allow myself to mess up once this week...then next week I will allow myself to mess up twice...and so on and so forth. And, I don't want to get back into my old habits. So...again...this is the constant battle in my head. What really worried me this week was, that I just wanted to sit down and eat a HUGE greasy cheese pizza from my favorite place, Enzo's. I haven't had many food cravings since I started...until this week. The "emotional" eating is emerging again. Hopefully, I will get over this hump soon and get my mind back on track. I am still sticking to my exercise plans and journaling what I eat and watching what I eat. I just have to be strong and not cave into the mind games. Wish me luck... I know I can do it...it's just gonna be hard!

4 comments:

The Whittacres said...

You do have to have those moments where you say...okay it is okay not be perfect. It is okay to have 1 bad day. It is even okay to have 1 piece of your Enzo's pizza but not more than that. (I know that part is hard) but I feel like letting your body have a little of what you crave just causes more "craviness" and then it continues to be a constant battle. I have learned that letting my body have a "little" of what it is craving helps a lot on getting back on track. I so want to try this Enzo's pizza now if it is greasy...it sounds like something I would really like. I would allow yourself ONE and only ONE bad day a week. Don't let yourself talk yourself into more and although you want to that feeling does pass. But that is just me...but just like your quote...it really is okay to NOT be perfect. YOU are doing an amazing job! You also need to remind yourself in those situations what you HAVE accomplished and how you feel!

The Whittacres said...

sorry...NOT letting your body have a little bit of what you crave causes more "craviness"

Leah Haas said...

I have the same problem. Its hard. Why do I really want that chocolate. I fight this same battle daily.
You are such an inspiration.

mylettersofhealing said...

You are doing a fantastic job! The quote you posted is a great one. It really is ok to have a bad day now and again and allow yourself little treats.