Saturday, February 11, 2012

Learning from failures...



It's so exciting as a mother to watch your kids grow up and figure things out. But, it is just as exciting to realize that I am growing up and figuring things out too!
I am pleased to say that I have finally learned patience...at least with the weight loss process, anyway. Every time that I fail, I learn something new. So, I have learned A LOT! I've learned that I can't completely change all my habits at once, although it would be nice. Way too many to tackle at once! I have to take one or a few at a time, start small and be satisfied with my progress no matter how insignificant it may feel. It all adds up! And, if I fail, don't get frustrated, just pick something else. And, then readdress the failed one later. It may just be the wrong time for that one.
Over the past few months I have reflected a lot on all my failures, in order to figure out why I failed. This is what I came up with...I am too hard on myself...I was trying to change too much all at once...and I didn't ask for help.
I am too hard on myself. No matter what I did, I should have done more. If I walked 30 minutes, I should have walked 60. If I ate 3 vegetables, I should have eaten 5. It's never ending. It's a constant state of disapproval. Which is NO good for the psyche. How will I ever be happy with myself, with this attitude. Now, I am much more satisfied with my efforts and congratulate myself for each day that I make a positive change. In time the changes will get bigger and bigger.
I was trying to change too much all at once. For some reason I thought that I would be totally fine with introducing all of these weird foods into my diet and saying goodbye to all of my familiar foods. I have now realized that in order to enjoy a healthier lifestyle, I need to be able to eat things that are appealing to me. I have to be real and think long term. I love food...I will always love food. So, let's figure out how to lose weight and still be able to love food. I don't do well, when I am told I can't have something. That's why I love Weight Watchers, nothing is off limits. Fortunately, I am smart enough to know what I need to eat, so I follow the healthy guidelines as such. And, knowing that I can have a GIANT, warm and gooey chocolate chip cookie if I want, makes eating healthier that much more attractive.
I didn't ask for help. Here was my attitude before..."I put the weight on all by myself, so I sure as heck can take it off all by myself!" WRONG! STUPID! Yes, it is ultimately my decision to change things, but there are a lot of factors that are needed to help motivate and educate. And, I am not too stubborn to ask for help anymore.
This year has been life changing so far...it started last fall and has continued on into this year FULL force! I love where I am at mentally and emotionally right now (physically is getting there). Taking the time to focus on my behaviors and habits has really paid off.
This is where I am at after 5 weeks...
18.2 lbs gone...less than 1 lb away from my 5% goal
12.5 total inches gone (over the whole body)...6.5" is from my waist and 3" is from my hips
I am currently soda free and have had very little fast food
I am cooking and eating home much, much more and I am totally fine with it!
I am loving this!! I feel so much better and it is just beginning! My goal is to be under 300 lbs by my birthday (July 15). I have not been under 300 in almost 8 years! So far so good! :)

2 comments:

Leah Haas said...

I love watching your progress. I actually was telling my friends at dinner last night that you were the bravest person I knew. Putting it all out there. Its good because now we are all watching you :)

You are my inspiration.

mylettersofhealing said...

Jill, you are AMAZING! And Leah is right you are V-E-R-Y brave. Keep up the good work! :)